Polar bears are charming and cuddly, not to mention much-loved symbols of our planet's warming climate. This makes them popular subjects for amigurumi—the Japanese art of crocheting small stuffed animals and creatures. (Crochet is easier, so many amigurumi patterns are designed with it in mind.) If you're looking to bring a little arctic wonder into your home or make a gift for a friend or loved one who loves polar bears, here are 15 Free Crochet Polar Bear Patterns that will have you ready to go on the next family trip to the zoo! You can use them to decorate a nursery, make ornaments, or even crochet your own teddy bear.
Amigurumi Crochet Polar Bear Patterns
Crocheting a polar bear is a great way to use yarn scraps and make something adorable that can be forever treasured. With fast winter approaching, it's time to start thinking about how to cozy your home with festive decor. One of the most fun and easy ways to do that is by making adorable crochet polar bears. They're not just for Christmas—though they're perfect for setting out during the holidays—but also add a bright pop of color and an extra dash of warmth to any space year-round. The following patterns range from easy to intermediate difficulty, but all are very rewarding projects that can be completed in a weekend or less. Happy crafting!
Tips For Crocheting Polar Bear Patterns
The polar Bear is one of the most iconic symbols of the Arctic. They are native to the North Pole and are a popular subject for crochet patterns. Here are some tips for crocheting polar bear patterns.
- Use high-quality yarn if you want your Bear to be soft and cuddly.
- If you want to add eyes, use black thread or yarn instead of buttons or pearls because these items can come loose over time and become a choking hazard for small children.
- If you have trouble with yarn tangling while working on your project, consider using needles made from bamboo or plastic instead of metal; this will help reduce snags and knots in your work.
- Use a larger hook than recommended if your pattern does not specify a change in size; this will make it easier for you to see what you are doing as you crochet so that you can avoid making any mistakes along the way.
Orion the Polar Bear
Crochet your very own Orion the Polar Bear with this easy-to-follow pattern. This is a perfect activity for kids or even a special gift for the animal lover on your list! This is a very special crochet pattern. It can be used as an ornament for your home, a decoration for Christmas and all winter holidays. It is made in 100% acrylic yarn, so it's safe for pets. The pattern is easy and beginner-friendly, with capital letters and punctuation marks.
- Crochet hook: C/2.75mm
- DK or light worsted (3) weight yarn in five colors: I used Bernat Softee Cotton in Clear White and Golden, and Bernat Softee Baby Cotton in Aqua Mist, Dusk Sky, and Feather Gray.
- Black embroidery floss to embroider the mouth, eyebrow, and claw details
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends and embroider
- Polyfill stuffing
- 8mm safety eyes
- Stitch markers to mark the beginning/end of each round if desired
- inc(s) Increase(s) – 2 single crochets in 1 stitch
- BLO Back loop only
- ch Chain
- MC Magic circle
- dec(s) Invisible decrease(s)
- sc(s) Single crochet stitch
- fsc(s) Foundation single crochet stitch
Amigurumi Polar Bear
This crochet amigurumi polar bear pattern is a super easy project to work up for a baby shower gift, birthday present, or Christmas present. Make your favorite furry friend out of pink yarn and create a winter wonderland in your home with the Crochet Amigurumi Polar Bear! This sweet Bear can sit on a shelf, pillow, or open space to bring even more happiness to any room. Make it for yourself, a family member, or as a gift for someone special. Amigurumi is the perfect gift for kids, in-laws, and anyone who loves cute crafty things. And with this crochet pattern, it's super easy to make.
- Less than 90 yards of white yarn of your choice (I used "Baby Bee Adore-A-Ball" in the color "Angel")
- Recommended hook size for your yarn (I used a 7mm hook)
- Yarn needle
- Safety eyes of your choice (I used 14 mm)
- Polyester Fiberfill
- Stitch Marker (optional)
- Sc: Single Crochet
- Inc: Increase
- Dec: decrease
- St: stitch
- BLO: Back loops only
- FO: Fasten off
Polar Bear Pal
This crochet polar bear pal is a great gift for any child. It is easy to learn and works quickly, making it perfect for those quick last-minute presents. This crochet polar bear pal is a fun and exciting craft project. It makes an awesome gift idea for any occasion. Get one for yourself, or make it as a gift. With the finest quality materials, this crochet polar bear pal will bring you lots of joy and happiness!
- Lion Brand Basic Stitch Premium yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/219 yd/220 m) – 2 skeins in 100 Snow, or approximately 325 yd (297 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- Nelsonwood Black Cat US Size F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill – 32 ounce bag.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set, or locking stitch markers.
- 15 mm black triangle craft nose – 1.
- 15 mm black safety eyes – 1 pair.
- Clover Chibi yarn needle.
Polar Bear Coaster
These adorable crochet polar bear coasters are perfect for any home. These fun and functional handcrafted coasters protect your surfaces from hot glasses, paint brushes, and spills. This crochet polar bear coaster is the perfect addition to any home. It's a great gift for anyone who loves polar bears or adores cute things! Make a lasting impression with this Polar Bear Coaster. This unique coaster is made of acrylic yarn and easily cleaned with soap or a sponge. It's super cute, simple, and fun to make!
- Size 3.5 mm hook
- Yarn needle
Mini Christmas Polar Bear Decoration
Little crochet polar bears all dressed up for Christmas, perfect as a gift tag and Christmas card topper or just adorable hanging from a tree, wherever you can think of to put them. This mini crochet polar bear is the perfect gift for someone special. Though small, this Bear is sure to be a big hit with kids and adults alike, who can't help but smile at its expressions of joy. The little guy is handcrafted, stuffed with polyfill, and lined with fleece, so it's extra soft to hold. You will love these cute, crocheted, and colorful polar bears. They are perfect Christmas decorations for hanging on the tree and a great gift idea for anyone who loves bears or decorating for Christmas!
- Sports Weight Yarn (one contrast color and white)
- 2.5mm crochet hook
- Stitch markers and pins
- Yarn needle
- Safety eyes (7mm x 2)
- Sc = Single crochet
- Slip st = Slip stitch
- Invdec = invisible decrease
- Sc2tog = single crochet decrease
- ** = a repeating stitch pattern
Polar Bear Crochet Tree Ornament
Crochet Polar Bear crochet tree ornament is a unique piece of art anyone will love to display. Perfect addition to any Christmas decor, this lovely polar bear crochet ornament makes a great gift with lasting memories Beautiful polar bear crochet tree ornament. This lovely little decoration can be made in any color and gauge of yarn. It is the perfect addition to your tree, mantle, or table. A beautiful, handmade crochet ornament that will last for years to come!
- 5.5 mm Furls Crochet Hook
- 16 yards/15 m (22 g/0.78 oz) of We Crochet Fable Fur in Eisbar
- 2 – 12mm Black Safety Eyes
- 18mm Safety Nose
- Polyester Stuffing
- 12" piece of ⅜" (9mm) ribbon in the preferred color or piece of yarn.
- Tapestry Needle
- Stitch Marker
- CH = Chain
- FO = Finish Off
- MC = Magic Circle
- SC = Single Crochet
- SCDEC = Single Crochet Decrease
- SCINC = Single Crochet Increase
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- ST = Stitch
Peppermint The Polar Bear
Peppermint will keep you warm and cozy all winter long. Crocheted from 100% wool by Jade's & Purls, Peppermint the Polar Bear stuffed animal makes the perfect gift for kids of all ages! Peppermint the polar bear crochet pattern is a super cute and simple amigurumi (crochet stuffed toy) that makes a great gift for Christmas or winter. This cute little Bear is perfect for snuggling and can be used as a decoration at home or in the nursery. This adorable crochet polar bear is the perfect gift for anyone who loves plush toys. Stuffed with polyester, this polar Bear's cute face will make you smile.
- Yarn: 160 yards (3 skeins) in Fable Fur, colorway Eisbar; 85 yards Mighty Stitch Worsted in White, 60 yards in Red, and a small amount of in Black
- Hook: Furls Odyssey F 3.75mm and M 8.00mm *get 15% off using code: crystalized15
- Poly-Fil or Fiberfill
- 2 -12mm Black Plastic Safety Eyes (Brown Iris)
- Stitch Marker
- Yarn Needle
- Measuring Tape
- Optional: Felt or Safety Nose
- Ch: Chain
- Sc: Single Crochet
- Sc2tog: Single Crochet 2 Together
- Hdc: Half Double Crochet
- Hdc2tog: Half Double Crochet 2 Together
- Hdc3tog: Half Double Crochet 3 Together
- Dc: Double Crochet
- Slst: Slip Stitch
- St(s): Stitch(es)
- *: Repeat according to instructions
Polar Bear Gift Card Holder
This crochet polar bear gift card holder is perfect for anyone who loves crocheting and bears! Plain white on the inside, this polar bear card holder has a small slot where you can insert your gift card. It is the perfect way to warm those family and friends this holiday season. This adorable crochet polar bear can be a cute decoration or a gift card holder for your loved ones! This crochet gift card holder is the cutest way to wrap up a gift card and make it special. This template pattern is for an adorable polar bear that stands about 5 inches tall and needs a bit of embroidery for a finished look!
- White (Mighty Stitch) – Bear and Santa hat
- Oyster (Mighty Stitch) – bear accents
- Icicle Heather (Wool of the Andes) – original hat
- Dark Charcoal (Impeccable) – nose and mouth
- Red Sparkle (Caron Simply Soft Party) – Santa hat
- 3.75 mm crochet hook
- Needle for sewing down yarn tails
- 6mm safety eyes
- Optional pom-pom for original hat
- Sheet of felt, matching embroidery thread and needle
- Ribbon, twine, yarn to create a loop for hanging, if desired
- CH chain
- SC single crochet
- HDC half double crochet
- SS slip stitch
- DEC decrease
Amigurumi Polar Bear
The crochet Amigurumi Polar Bear is super cute and very easy to make! This little polar Bear is perfect as a friend, toy, and decoration for you. The perfect gift for your little ones and special someone, and also a great way to destress. Fuzzies and fluffies are always cute, but this one is extra special! Crochet this adorable little guy with a hat, scarf, and mittens who likes to nap in a basket on his back! This cute little Polar Bear is quick and easy to crochet, making it perfect for beginner-level crocheters. These adorable polar bears make great gifts and decorations for your home, an ideal gift for children or loved ones!
- Size 4 worsted weight yarn (50g of white; small amount of red, grey; white fuzzy yarn for the hat/pom, pictured is Lion Brand Boucle)
- Two accent colors for the sweater, referred below as Accent A and B
- 3.5 mm crochet hook (these are the hooks I use and love!)
- 9mm safety eyes
- Black crochet/embroidery thread for eyelashes/eyebrows/nose
- Tapestry needle (bent tips work great for amigurumi!)
- Stitch markers
- MC- Magic circle
- SC- Single crochet
- SC INC- Single crochet increase
- HDC – Half double crochet
- INV DEC- Invisible decrease
- St(s)- Stitch(es)
Kids Polar Bear Hat
This crochet kids' polar bear hat is a delightful accessory for the fashion-conscious child. This crochet hat is perfect for your cute little one. The pattern is simple and fun, with a perfect fit for any size kid. This adorable crochet hat will keep your favorite little one's head warm and safe from the cold. Soft and warm, this crochet hat is the perfect topper for your little one's winter wardrobe. The simple pattern features beginner-friendly stitches and works quickly; it even includes instructions for making optional ears. This a fun project for beginning crocheters! It's soft and warm, ensuring your little one stays comfortable.
- 1 ball (or less) of medium weight (worsted) yarn in white
- scraps of medium-weight yarn in black
- 2 black buttons, if you are using buttons for the eyes
- 5.5 mm crochet hook
Polar Bear Washcloth
This adorable crochet washcloth is the perfect way to spruce up your bathroom or kitchen. It also makes a thoughtful gift for anyone who loves bears and cute things! With a touch of whimsy, this Polar Bear Washcloth is a great accessory for your bathroom. This super cute, easy-to-make washcloth pattern is great for beginner to advanced crocheters. Add this washcloth to your bathroom for decoration and a cute way to dry off after your showers. The small size makes it perfect for keeping the little ones clean too!
- WeCrochet CotLin Yarn (123yds/50g) (less than 1 skein each, DK) in the colors
- 3.25mm hook
- tapestry needle
- sc = single crochet
- candy cane border
- ch = chain
- sl st = slip stitch
Polar Bear Stuffed Animal
Crochet a polar bear to keep you company. The perfect project for beginners, this tiny teddy bear makes the ideal gift or ornament. This crochet polar bear stuffed animal is a great gift for your loved ones! It's ready to be cherished by children and adults alike. This crochet polar bear stuffed animal is sure to delight your child. With its colorful fur, this cutie will be a great companion for all your little ones. It crochets up super fast, so it makes a wonderful last-minute gift!
- Approximately 1 skein of #4/worsted weight yarn (in white); I also used some red and black for the hat & scarf and facial details.
- G-6 / 4-mm hook
- FiberFil stuffing
- Two small buttons
- Yarn needle
- Regular sewing needle
- st – stitch
- ch – chain
- sl st – slip stitch
- ch st – chain stitch
- sc – single crochet
- hdc – half-double crochet (see notes above)
- (inc) – increase; perform two stitches in the same space/stitch
- (dec) – decrease; see "notes" above
- sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together; this is a decrease
- hdc2tog – half-double crochet 2 stitches together; this is a decrease
Alexei The Polar Bear
When the weather outside is frightful, and there's no other place to go, you can snuggle up with this adorable plush polar Bear. Alexei will be your best friend for years to come! Alexei is a sweet polar bear filled with joy and enthusiasm for all life offers. He loves to play and snuggle and never gets tired of watching snowflakes fall from the sky daily. His favorite thing to do is scoot around on his little red wagon and explore the bustling streets of St. Petersburg with his friends. This cuddly toy softie will provide hours of fun-filled imaginative play.
- #4 worsted weight yarn – I used Caron Simply Soft in White and Cobalt Blue
- ch – chain
- SC – single crochet
- DC – double crochet
- sl – slip stitch
- BLO – back loop only
Momo The Bear
This crochet, momo the Bear, is so cute and cuddly that you will fall in love every time you look at it. Momo the Bear is a soft and cuddly crochet toy for children and adults alike. It is a great first project for all beginners to crochet, using only single crochet stitches, simple increases and decreases, plus a few simple decorative stitches. Crochet Momo the Bear as a gift for any occasion, as a beautiful keepsake toy, or to add fun to your house!
- – worsted weight yarn
- – 4mm crochet hook
- – 6mm safety eyes
- – embroidery needle
- – embroidery thread
- – scissors
- – yarn needle
- – stitch markers
- – stuffing
- sc – single crochet
- mc – magic circle/ring
- inc – increase (single crochet increase = two stitches in one stitch)
- dec – invisible decrease (single crochet decrease = two stitches together)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
Polar Bear C2C Square
Add a touch of warmth to your home with this adorable polar Bear C2C square. The perfect addition to any room in the house or even to give away as a gift! The Polar Bear C2C Crochet Square features a polar bear and snowflakes in a blue and white color scheme. In the background is a loosely woven pattern that creates a frosted effect. The square can be a blanket or pillow cover and fits perfectly into your home décor. This specific square would make an excellent Christmas gift for your loved one!
- yarn: Red Heart Super Saver (yarn weight: Medium 4) in 6 colors:
- Real Teal for the background approx. 146 yds (133.5 m)
- Soft White approx.76 yds (69.5 m)
- Aran approx. 52 yds (47.5 m)
- Dusty Grey: approx. 43.74 yds (40 m)
- Grey Heather approx. 7.65 yds (7 m)
- Black approx. 16.4 yds (15 m)
- 5.5 mm crochet hook (I have used Furls Wooden Hook, Cocobolo)
- Tapestry needle
- - RS: right side
- - WS: wrong side